[vc_row padding_top=”0px” padding_bottom=”0px” border=”none” class=”mbn pbn”][vc_column fade_animation=”in” fade_animation_offset=”45px” width=”1/1″ id=”top” class=”mtm ptm pll mll mrl prl”]
[vc_row_inner no_margin=”true” padding_top=”0px” padding_bottom=”0px” border=”none” class=”mbm pbm mtn ptn mrl prl”][vc_column_inner fade_animation_offset=”45px” width=”1/2″]
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Norfolk, established in 1758, has three state parks within its borders and miles and miles of hiking/cross-country skiing trails overseen by the Norfolk Land Trust. Norfolk is the summer home of the Yale School of Music and Art as well as the Norfolk Chamber Music Festival and popular, year-round Infinity Hall. This community of 1,667 residents has an excellent school, Botelle, a monthy newspaper, Norfolk Now, an engaging historical museum, a five-star library, a curling club and The Norfolk Country Club. During the warmer months there is a thriving farmers market.
[/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner fade_animation_offset=”45px” width=”1/2″]
To the East of Norfolk is the beautiful, rural town of Colebrook, incorporated in 1779. The town is 32.9 square miles and has a population of 1520. Colebrook features an active historical society and land conservancy, Algonquin State Park, and 1.4 square miles of lakes and ponds. 700-acre Colebrook River Lake is open seasonally for fishing and boating and has a large boat ramp available. The Colebrook Town Pond is Colebrook’s life-guarded summer swimming hole adjacent to its Little League field. The YMCA’s Camp Jewell welcomes local kids to its programs. Distinctly rural, Colebrook is filled with mountains, lakes, streams, and forestland.
The Norfolk Library
Miss Isabella Eldridge established the Norfolk Library in 1889. Her hope was that it would be a meeting ground for the community and it has maintained the character she gave it through all the years of its existence. It serves not only as a storehouse of reading, but also as a central meeting place for the town. A full program of films, lectures, childrens’ activities, and more is provided. On the Town Green. 860-542-5075.
Norfolk Chamber Music Festival
Renowned as a center for chamber music performances and professional study, the Festival features summer performances by many of the world’s most celebrated musical artists as well as the brightest of the new generation of musicians. Situated on 70 acres of rolling lawns and glorious gardens. 860-542-3000. Ellen Battell Stoeckel Estate located at the intersection of Routes 272 and 44, across from the Norfolk Town Green.
Infinity Music Hall
Infinity Hall is an intimate music, dining and entertainment destination beyond compare. Newly renovated, the historic building features its original proscenium stage and wood, as well as many other notable details. The hall hosts more than 200 music and entertainment shows by quality national and regional artists annually. 20 Greenwoods Road West, Norfolk
Find fresh vegetables and fruit, herbs, mushrooms, cut flowers and plants; local meats, cheeses, yogurt and eggs; breads and baked goods; wine; honey and maple syrup, jams, jellies and pickles, handmade wares of every description and an array of wonderful foods to take home or eat on the spot. Live music every Saturday and special events, including chef demos, add to the ambiance. Just follow the signs to 19 Maple Avenue, Norfolk, Connecticut, one block north of Route 44. We’re on the lawn in front of Town Hall every Saturday of the season, May 17 through October 11, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., rain or shine, with plenty of parking right next door.
Colebrook Historical Society
The collections housed within the museum in the center of Colebrook represent various aspects of life in town from the mid-1700’s to the present. Virtually every item was used or made in town, or has been donated by a Colebrook resident. Their season currently begins with Memorial Day and ends on Columbus Day Weekend. Colebrook Center.
Norfolk Historical Society
Since 1960, the Norfolk Historical Society has been preserving Norfolk’s unique history and caring for its rich collection of artifacts and documents. The Museum is housed in the old Norfolk Academy, built in 1840, later used as the Town Hall and Jail, and located on the Norfolk Village Green.
Tiffany Windows, Battell Chapel
From the Winsted Citizen, January 26, 1928: “Mrs. Carl Stoeckel is having placed in the parlor of the Norfolk Congregational church five landscape windows of beautiful Tiffany favrile glass, which depict the four seasons and also one in the center, a sunrise scene with the intensity of color so characteristic here among the Litchfield county hills. The windows were designed under the personal supervision of Louis Tiffany, a life-time friend.”
At the southern tip of the Norfolk Green, Battell Fountain, carved in granite and designed by Stanford White with bronze work by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, was the gift of the Eldridge sisters whose house and gardens faced the Green. The Village Green is now the center of the Norfolk Historic District.
Loon Meadow Farm
Loon Meadow Farm‘s Horse and Carriage Livery provides elegant horse-drawn Cinderella and Vis-à-vis carriages, Victoria Phaetons, Wagonetts and other horse drawn vehicles for your wedding, party, parade, company picnic . . . or just for fun. Loon Meadow Drive, Norfolk.
The gravestone of James Mars, located to the rear and left of the first entrance to the Center Cemetery, Old Colony Road, Norfolk, is part of the Connecticut Freedom Trail. A former slave, Mars helped organize meetings to promote freedom for slaves and to improve conditions for free African-Americans.
Camp Jewell (YMCA) is two separate, full-service camps within 540 magnificent acres. The camp serves thousands of visitors each year who enjoy friendly staff and innovative programs. During the summer, campers and staff come together to form a vibrant camp community. In the Fall, Winter, and Spring, Outdoor Center guests come to enjoy camp through conference, teambuilding, and outdoor education programs. Colebrook.